West Chiltington and Nutbourne Action Group (WCANAG) is a group of around 100 local volunteers who are providing support for the elderly and vulnerable local people and for those in essential services during the Covid-19 crisis. We act as a pipeline between volunteers, community organisations, local businesses and vulnerable residents.
The group is part of the national campaign to provide local support and, as a recognised local hub, we are supervised and regulated by Horsham District Council.
We offer a range of services:
- A dedicated phone helpline service 6 days a week from 10:00 – 15:00 via a team of 15 volunteers for vulnerable residents.
- A daily pick-up and delivery service from 4 local stores and 3 pharmacies, 6 days a week via 42 volunteers on a rota basis. (More details below.)
- A befriending chatline service via 12 volunteers each operating in a dedicated region in the village.
- A DVD and book library. (More details below.)
To access any of these services, call us between 10:00 – 15:00 Monday to Saturday on one of our dedicated phone lines:
- 07714 196070 (West Chiltington)
- 07734 993225 (Nutbourne)
We have a Facebook page and you can find us on Nextdoor.
You might also like to have a look at our web forum, where you can chat with existing volunteers and managers, at wcanag.freeforums.net.
WCANAG works with the following stores:
- NISA (West Chiltington) 01798 813 359
- Post Office Stores (West Chiltington) 01798 813 209
- West Chiltington Butcher 01798 812 795
- Pets Corner (Pulborough) 01798 874 425
- Doodley Dogs (Storrington) 01903 741 713
- Cordens Chemist (Pulborough) 01798 872 480
- Boots Chemist (Storrington) 01903 742 411
- Lloyds Chemist (Storrington) 01903 742 313
If you are in one of the vulnerable categories, or are self-isolating, then give us a call on the numbers above and then, once you have registered, you can make your order directly with the stores and they will arrange for us to deliver your order to your door.
Our delivery drivers will observe social distancing and always stay at least 6 ft away, and will be carrying an identification card.
DVD and book library
We have a good stock of both books and DVDs; you can find the full lists here:
We take the safety of our clients and volunteers very seriously so, on top of all the other precautions we take with deliveries, we do the following:
- Donated and returned books are left untouched for 5 days before they are handled and then only with gloves;
- Donated and returned DVDs are cleaned down and again left for a minimum of 5 days and then only handled with gloves.
Check out the other pages on this site which provide much useful information:
- News – Local news on developments relating to the coronavirus epidemic and our work.
- About us – More details about who we are and how you can help.
- Local resources – Details of local stores, restaurants and pubs which are still open and which offer a delivery or takeaway service
- Links – Quick links to many useful information sources, ranging from government advice on how to keep safe, to the websites of local GP services.